WARNING!!! Content from this blogger may help stimulate your mind

All I ask is that what I post you read with an open mind. Please make any judgements or decisions based on what your individual value(s), ideas, up-bringing may be. Remember, you are an individual, not a piece of a bigger group. The greatest thing about this country is that we have individual freedom. Really.


My 2 cents and you can keep the change

I am just an ordinary everyday citizen who is trying to get his voice heard. I think for myself and I don't always agree with someone or something 100% of the time, but that is entirely up to me to make that call. I really became interested in the political scene after 9/11 happened.

I am new to blogging, but it is something that I have always wanted to do. Give my opinion on certain current events along with happenings of everyday life is what I want to share with everyone. I am not mainstream by any way, nor do I feel that I have to solely committ to one party. However, I will committ to values that align with my own.



Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 14, 2009

The new Mayor of Houston

I wanted to talk about this before I hit the sack for the night. I saw this header on yahoo.com, "Gay mayor-elect: Victory shows Houston's diversity."

It's stuff like that, which is what inspired me to blog. Why do people always have to categorize individuals into a group. We are Americans, no crap we are a diverse population. It is going on 2010 and we know. We are all different as Americans. It seems like as the older the nation gets, the farther from a melting pot we are becoming. Why? Well because it seems that the media along with other entities just can't withhold from fully categorizing someone. The heading could have easily have read,"New Mayor elected for Houston." Too simple I guess.



The greatest part of being American is being a part of a nation that is made of many ethnicity's, religions, beliefs, orientations, and values. We get it. The longer we continue to be put into specified categories, we are going to be different and might not even realize it. Whether it is school, work, business, credit, the lottery, going to the park, etc, we all have the same opportunity to do whatever we want to do as long as its not breaking the law. If people are blocking you from something, just try harder. That's it. Don't back away, steam forward twice as hard. We are all individuals and as a whole we are Americans. It shouldn't be that as individuals we are Americans, and as a whole, we are whatever label fits best. The longer we continue to be classified as minorities, latino, asian, black, pacific islander, gay, straight, male, female, rich, poor, etc., the melting pot of culture will go cold.

I am not saying forget who are as individuals, but that is who we should be as individuals. And as a whole we should all be able to be Americans and whatever catchy category sounds best. We are all here together and to me it is degrading to be constantly put into a category, all the time. What is important is that we should be noticed for who we are, and what we can do as an individual and what branding we fall into. Keep in mind that I am an unemployed, latino, minority student brand writing this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the categories we're put in are what divides us. If we continue to focus on our differences, even in seemingly mundane way, we will never focus on our similarities, because we need to face it, people for the most part are negative, because it's easier, and means less emotional involvement or investment on their part.

    my .02 :)

    ReplyDelete